The treatment of the radioactive wastes and their isolation from the environment, guaranteeing that no undue radiological risk exists both for persons and for the environment, minimizing the liabilities for future generations. It is also responsible for the dismantling of the nuclear facilities for generate electricity. ENRESA is in charge also of building and operating the Almacén Temporal Centralizado (ATC). This facility will jointly handle the highly radioactive waste from all of the Spanish nuclear power stations.
INFORMATION ABOUT ENRESA
ENRESA was incorporated after being authorized by the Royal Decree 1522/1984, of July 4. It is a state-owned company, responsible by the Parliament´s decision of the management of all the radioactive wastes generated in Spain, as well as of the dismantling of the nuclear facilities for generating electricity. This task includes also other activities, such as the intervention for supporting nuclear emergencies and the dismantling of other facilities of the nuclear fuel cycle in those cases which it is necessary.
At the moment, ENRESA manages a system with over 600 habitual producers of wastes, and it manages three facilities:
The management of nuclear wastes in Spain is defined in the Plan General de Residuos Radioactivos PGRR, or General Radioactive Waste Plan (GRWP), a document of the Government which is periodically reviewed, taking into account the changes experienced in technological, economic and financial terms and conditions.
The PGRR currently in force was approved by the Council of Ministers on June 2006. For carrying out its functions, ENRESA is supervised by the Nuclear Security Council and by the Ministry of Economy. The latter prepares the General Plans for the Nuclear Wastes based on proposals made by ENRESA, and grants the permits for new facilities and extends the current ones.
Participation in ENRESA is shared among the Sociedad Estatal de Participaciones Industriales (SEPI), with a 20 per cent stake, and CIEMAT with the remaining 80 per cent.
Almacén Temporal Centralizado (Centralised Interim Storage Facility)
ENRESA, the state-owned enterprise which is in charge of managing the radioactive waste and of dismantling nuclear power stations, is in charge also of building and operating the Centralised Interim Storage Facility (CTS) in the town of Villar de Cañas. This facility jointly handle for all the spent fuel from the country’s nuclear power stations.
The Temporary Nuclear Waste Storage Site (ATC) constitutes a comprehensive solution for all of Spain’s radioactive waste. The technological park will be made up by a business incubator, the ATC and a R&D facility.
Antes de imprimir este documento asegúrate de que es necesario. Proteger el medio ambiente está también en tu mano.